Imperialism, Resistance & Alternatives
100 Years After the Start of WWI
October 25, 2014 SFU Harbour Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
8:00-9:00 Registration at the door
9:00-10:00 Déjà vu: How WWI gets used to justify imperialism today Ingo Schmidt
10:15-11:15 Imperialism:Reliable Allies? 4 Workshops to choose from:
China- Left or Right? Yuezhi Zhao
NATO Pushes East- What Does the Ukraine Represent? Roger Annis
Latin America- Alternative or Partner? Marta Harnecker
South Africa- Neoliberalism with a Human Face? Lawrence Boxall
11:30-12:30 Resistance 4 Workshops to choose from:
The Chinese Labour Movement Today Xinying Hu and Cathy Walker
Euro-critics, Left AND Right: Unraveling Troika-Power? Ingo Schmidt
Housing, Health, and Education: Defending the Right to Live Tara Ehrcke and Chris Shelton
Arab Spring, Winter or Fall? Mahdi Nazemroaya and Mostafa Saber
12:30-1:30 LUNCH ON YOUR OWN
1:30-2:30 Two Big Boys: NATO – The Cops of the World; and CHINA – Number Two and Trying Harder Mahdi Nazemroaya and Minqi Li
2:45-3:45 Alternatives 4 Workshops to choose from:
The Rise of the Working Class in China Minqi Li
Fundamentalists of All Countries Unite: The Reappearance of Everything Old Gary Cristall
Bolivarian Revolution and ALBA at 10 Years Representative of the Consulate General of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
Strategies for Change: A panel of activists from the electoral and extra-electoral movements for change Nadia Santoro, Bill Hopwood, and Audrey Siegl
4:00-5:00 Fortune Telling: Thoughts on the Coming Years Minqi Li and Marta Harnecker and Mahdi Nazemroaya
IMPERIALISM, RESISTANCE & ALTERNATIVES
The World Peace Forum Society’s 7th Annual Teach In
Saturday Oct. 25, 2014, at Simon Fraser University Harbour Centre- 515 West Hastings.
Registration will start at 8:30 am, the first plenary will begin at 9:00 am, the last will end at 6:00 pm. Over the course of the day there will be three plenary sessions and three sets of workshop sessions.
The plenary sessions are-
- Déjà vu- How WWI Is used to justify imperialism today- Ingo Schmidt
- Two Big Boys- NATO- The Cops of the World (Mahdi Nazemroaya), and China- Number Two and Trying Harder (Minqi Li)
- Fortune Telling- Thoughts on the Coming Years- Minqi Li, Marta Harnecker, Mahdi Nazemroaya
Workshops- Three series of four simultaneous workshops, arranged thematically-
- China: Left or Right?
- NATO Pushes East- What does the Ukraine Represent?
- Latin America- Alternative or Partner?
- South Africa- Neoliberalism with a Human Face?
- The Chinese Labour Movement Today- and a report back from BC Fed visit to China
- Euro- critics- Left AND Right
- Health, Housing and Education- Defending the Right to Live
- Arab Spring- What Season Are We In?
- The Rise of the Working Class in China
- Fundamentalists of All Countries Unite- The Reappearance of Everything Old
- Bolivarian Revolution and ALBA at 10 Years
- O Canada! Strategies for Change- A panel of activists from the electoral and extra-electoral movements for social change
The names of speakers and facilitators for each workshop will be available in early September at our web site- www.peaceforumteachin.org
TUESDAY NOVEMBER 11
The World Peace Forum presents a film showing:
All Quiet on the Western Front- 1930
A cinematic classic and powerful denunciation of war.
THE W.I.S.E. CLUB 1882 Adanac St. 1:00pm