“Austerity and Anti-Terrorism:
Two Lies and How To Fight Them”
Peace Forum Teach-In 2015
Sunday Nov 15
We are under attack! Who is we? We are workers, women, the poor, the sick, Aboriginal people, immigrants and everyone who wants a world where people get what they need. The attack masquerades under the names of austerity and anti-terrorism. It is neither. They lie! Giving billions of dollars to the car companies is not austerity. Refusing to establish a Royal Commission on the fate of hundreds of murdered and disappeared Aboriginal girls and women is not austerity. Spending billions dropping bombs on who knows whom in Iraq and Syria is not anti-terrorism. Creating new measures that criminalize protest of and opposition to government policy is not anti- terrorism. These are crimes and they need to be stopped. We need to replace them with measures that ensure that the working class and other sectors that make up "the people" or, if you like, "the 99 percent", get what we need. This means holding on to what we have, getting back what we have lost and getting a bunch of things that we have only been able to dream about. The question is how we are going to get it. Our 8th annual Teach-In will focus on this dual offensive. We will bring together analysts and activists to look at what is being done to us and how we can create a movement that can fight and win. Keynote speaker: Sarah Jaffe, radical journalist and activist from New York. Sunday, November 15 at SFU Harbour Centre, 9am to 5pm
A great big THANK YOU to HSA, CUPE BC, BCGEU, CUPE Metro, CUPE 23, ILWU 500, VDLC and PAGE BC!!
Your donations have allowed us to bring in great speakers, hold the event at a central and accessible location, and to have the event filmed for all the people who can’t attend in person!
The World Peace Forum Society Teach In 2014
Imperialism, Resistance & Alternatives
100 Years After the Start of WWI
October 25, 2014
8:00-9:00 Registration at the door
9:00-10:00 Déjà vu: How WWI gets used to justify imperialism today (Ingo Schmidt)
10:15-11:15 Imperialism: Reliable Allies? Four workshops to choose from:
- China: Left or Right? (Yuezhi Zhao)
- NATO Pushes East- What Does the Ukraine Represent? (Roger Annis)
- Latin America: Alternative or Partner? (Marta Harnecker)
- South Africa: Neoliberalism with a Human Face? (Lawrence Boxall)
11:30-12:30 Resistance. Four workshops to choose from:
- The Chinese Labour Movement Today (Xinying Hu and Cathy Walker)
- Euro-critics, Left AND Right: Unraveling Troika-Power? (Ingo Schmidt)
- Housing, Health, and Education: Defending the Right to Live (Tara Ehrcke and Chris Shelton)
- Arab Spring, Winter or Fall? (Mahdi Nazemroaya and Mostafa Saber)
12:30-1:30 LUNCH ON YOUR OWN
1:30-2:30 Two Big Boys: NATO – The Cops of the World; and CHINA – Number Two and Trying Harder (Mahdi Nazemroaya and Minqi Li)
2:45-3:45 Alternatives. Four workshops to choose from:
- The Rise of the Working Class in China (Minqi Li)
- Fundamentalists of All Countries Unite: The Reappearance of Everything Old (Gary Cristall)
- Bolivarian Revolution and ALBA at 10 Years (Representative of the Consulate General of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela)
- O Canada! Strategies for Change: A panel of activists from the electoral and extra-electoral movements for change (Nadia Santoro, Bill Hopwood, and Audrey Siegl)
4:00-5:00 Fortune Telling: Thoughts on the Coming Years (Minqi Li and Marta Harnecker and Mahdi Nazemroaya)
IMPERIALISM, RESISTANCE & ALTERNATIVES
The World Peace Forum Society’s 7th Annual Teach In
Saturday Oct. 25, 2014, at Simon Fraser University Harbour Centre- 515 West Hastings.
Registration will start at 8:30 am, the first plenary will begin at 9:00 am, the last will end at 6:00 pm. Over the course of the day there will be three plenary sessions and three sets of workshop sessions.
The plenary sessions are-
- Déjà vu– How WWI Is used to justify imperialism today- Ingo Schmidt
- Two Big Boys– NATO- The Cops of the World (Mahdi Nazemroaya), and China- Number Two and Trying Harder (Minqi Li)
- Fortune Telling– Thoughts on the Coming Years- Minqi Li, Marta Harnecker, Mahdi Nazemroaya
Workshops- Three series of four simultaneous workshops, arranged thematically-
- China: Left or Right?
- NATO Pushes East- What does the Ukraine Represent?
- Latin America- Alternative or Partner?
- South Africa- Neoliberalism with a Human Face?
- The Chinese Labour Movement Today- and a report back from BC Fed visit to China
- Euro- critics- Left AND Right
- Health, Housing and Education- Defending the Right to Live
- Arab Spring- What Season Are We In?
- The Rise of the Working Class in China
- Fundamentalists of All Countries Unite- The Reappearance of Everything Old
- Bolivarian Revolution and ALBA at 10 Years
- O Canada! Strategies for Change- A panel of activists from the electoral and extra-electoral movements for social change
The names of speakers and facilitators for each workshop will be available in early September at our web site- www.peaceforumteachin.org
TUESDAY NOVEMBER 11
The World Peace Forum presents a film showing:
All Quiet on the Western Front- 1930
A cinematic classic and powerful denunciation of war.
THE W.I.S.E. CLUB 1882 Adanac St. 1:00pm